History & Facts

History of Aledo Cemetery


  • Original cemetery established in May 1863
  • 1st addition in October 1875
  • 2nd addition in May 1900
  • 3rd addition in April 1904
  • 4th addition in October 1919
  • 4th addition annexation in March 1923
  • 5th addition in March 1922
  • 6th addition revised in April 3, 1981

Interesting Facts About Aledo Cemetery


  • The term cemetery implies that the land is specifically designated as a burying ground. Cemeteries are distinguished from other burial grounds by their location; they are usually not adjoined to a church. A graveyard, on the other hand, is located in a churchyard, although a churchyard can also be any patch of land on church grounds.
  • The oldest recorded grave located in Aledo cemetery is lot Number 4 original addition, born in 1825 and died in 1841.
  • As stated on her tombstone: First white girl born in Mercer County Sara Jane Willett Worley 1834 to 1917 Lot Number 70 original section
  • Horse drawn carriages were used to bring the deceased to the final ceremony, at one particular ceremony the horse passed away. The horse was buried across the road from the deceased.
  • A wagon train traveling to the west stopped to bury 2 young children in what is now known as the 2nd addition of the Aledo Cemetery. Although no information is known about the children a small marker has been placed for commemoration.